At Immaculate Conception Cathedral School, we consistently strive to provide a rigorous, grade-level appropriate, and dynamic data-driven curriculum for our students. With our mission to “strengthen spirits, minds and bodies through the teachings of Jesus Christ” always in mind, our masterful teachers seek to challenge students and advance their learning through various best practices and up-to-date teaching techniques and strategies.
The focus from Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade is on developing the whole child through developmentally appropriate learning activities, exploration, and challenges. Our teachers have the privilege of encouraging and developing our students, through academics, spirituality, the arts, physical education, and service.
Scientific Inquiry Focused
- Amplify Science (Kindergarten-5th Grade)
- FOSS (6th-8th Grade)
- American Heart Association Teaching Garden (PK-8th Grade)
Sensory Integrated Literacy and Writing
- S'Cool Moves: a program that uses occupational therapy-based strategies supported by research and academic techniques to increase student focus, self-regulation skills, reading skills, and academic stamina. (PK-2nd Grade)
- Orton-Gillingham Phonics First (Kindergarten-5th Grade)
- Learning Without Tears (PK-3rd Grades)
Daily Enrichment Classes
- Students in PK-5th Grade enjoy daily enrichment classes including Music, Physical Education, Art, Library, Computer Technology, and Spanish.
FLEX Enrichment Classes
- In addition to regular daily enrichment classes, students in Kindergarten through 5th Grade experience a rating flexible schedule of enrichments that include STEM, Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, The Best ME, and team building activities.
Performing & Visual Art Opportunities
- Praise Band, Dramatic Arts Performance, Choral Ensemble, Christmas Musical, Hand Bell Choir, Spring Musical Performance, and Student Art Shows.
- ICCS employs a full-time guidance counselor. The counselor is available to students, parents, and teachers. The counselor works with students individually or in group settings to help overcome social, emotional, or academic problems.
Individual Special Needs
- ICCS offers a Resource Program that provides special-needs students with individualized educational opportunities. Students who qualify for Resource must have an IDEA academic classification through private assessment or by the Calcasieu Parish School System’s Assessment Team.
Student Personal Assistants/Tutoring Services
- Professionals contracted by parents through approved agencies are permitted on-campus with students with administrative approval.
- Speech/Hearing – CPSB provides Speech Therapy and Hearing Itinerants for students meeting all criteria. Speech services are provided for ICCS students on campus on a weekly basis.
- Title I – This program aims to help students in the areas of math and reading. Itinerant teachers meet with qualifying students in grades 1 – 5 whose residence is located in a Title I public school district.
- SPARK – Seeking Purposeful Analytical Realistic Knowledge is an off-campus program for gifted and talented students (grades 1 – 5) that meet weekly at a designated off-campus Calcasieu Parish School.
Religious formation and spiritual development are at the heart of everything we do at Immaculate Conception Cathedral School. We help our students grow in faith, virtue, and service by offering daily religion-based classes and spiritually focused activities and experiences throughout the school year. We live out the Catholic Faith as a school by providing the students with activities on the prayers of the Church and sacramental development.
Catholic Formation for Pre-K through 8th Grade Students:
- Apologetics Enrichment (Middle School Students)
- The Atrium (Catechesis of the Good Shepherd)
- Class Led Service Projects
- Diocesan Catholic Quiz Bowl
- Disciple of Christ--Education in Virtue Program (PK-8th Grade)
- First Communion (2nd Grade)
- First Penance (2nd Grade)
- Grade-Level Retreats
- Weekly Theology Activities (Middle School)
- Catholic Schools Week